We unpack lots of great tidbits in the interview including benchmarks for Ultra training, nutrition, recovery, and much more.
Geoff is a PhD from the University of Michigan who studies running biomechanics and physiology, and he is also an elite Ultra runner who performs well at the distance.
Check out the show notes below:
- 2:11 JFK 50 Mile Race Report
- 13:38 What are benchmarks and key workouts to prepare for an Ultramarathon
- 16:23 Geoff’s primary workout that he does Saturdays during a training plan
- 19:00 How Geoff uses lactate testing to tailor his training paces
- 24:34 The breakdown of Geoff’s typical training week
- 29:44 What baseline fitness is needed to start an ultra plan and how long should an ultra plan last
- 31:30 The fundamentals that Geoff focused on to make him less injury prone during his training plan
- 40:30 A Fast and Furious Reference about our reserve tank that we can only tap so often
- 41:13 The psychological aspect of race recovery
- 43:10 What Geoff eats after an Ultra
- 43:59 Don’t forget the protein after an Ultra!
- 45:55 Bread and butter, a classic but so delicious!
- 47:17 **Day after the race, and what you should do to boost recovery** (a must listen!)
- 52:43 Listen to what your body tells you, and then wait another two days before running
- 54:33 How to learn more about Geoff and his work